The New York Public Library's Development Office raises private funds from foundations, government agencies, individuals, and corporations to support the Library’s general operations as well as specific projects; these funds supplement the
public support the Library receives from the City, State, and federal government. The Development Office currently seeks an organized and experienced fundraiser with a passion for the Library and its mission, and the proven ability to help raise
support for NYPL’s new and growing programmatic initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a clear and demonstrated passion for communicating the work of the Library through their writing and donor cultivation and stewardship. The Associate Manager
will serve as the main point of contact for a portfolio of more than 190 active and prospective funders, and must manage communication and strategy for all of them.
Reporting to the Director, Foundations & Government Grants, the Associate Manager, Foundations will:
● Develop creative cultivation and solicitation strategies to secure five- and six-figure foundation annual and campaign gifts, with an ambitious goal of $2M in general operating funds raised annually.
● Work with team and program staff to research and draft letters of inquiry, proposals, renewal requests, and interim and final reports to foundation funders.
● Strengthen and grow the donor pool, conduct ongoing prospect research to maximize fundraising outcomes, and liaise with other development teams to ensure cultivation and stewardship across constituencies.
● Follow best practices in the foundation relations field and gift/grant management. Manage gift acknowledgments and other donor correspondence, including stewardship invitations, mailings, condolences, etc.
● Serve as team’s Raiser’s Edge point-of-contact, participate on ad-hoc advisory group, and communicate best practices to rest of team
● Handle all aspects of grant stewardship, including relationships with program officers, directors, donor trustees, and program officers. Organize and attend donor visits, tours, and presentations, and manage other stewardship opportunities.
● Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the organization, its mission, values, strategic goals, and programs to develop persuasive donor materials.
● Prepare briefing papers and strategy recommendations for senior Library Staff.
● Proofread and edits colleagues’ work
● Good knowledge of and experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar database
(query/report creation, etc)
● Superb writing and editing skills,with meticulous attention to detail.
● Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience in developing and
managing donor relationships
● Ability to take direction, act independently, set and maintain priorities, balance
demands of multiple tasks, and meet strict deadlines.
● Ability to work tactfully and effectively with all levels of Library staff, donors,
● Passion for and understanding of the Library and its mission
● Proficiency with complex budgets and financial reporting to donors
● Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
● Limited physical effort is required
● Light lifting required
● Lifting up to 40 lbs. Required
● May require travel within NYC